KAWAJA SHARJEEL : 3.10.2010 .Death toll in the ongoing unrest in Kashmir today rose to 105 as a youth injured in security forces action last month succumbed to injuries even as the Valley returned to normalcy for a day after authorities lifted curfew and separatist Hurriyat Conference called of its protests and strike. Omar Suleiman Sheikh, who was injured in security forces firing at Sangrama in Sopore area of Baramulla district on September 16, succumbed to injuries at Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) Soura here this morning. The 20-year-old youth was hit by a bullet in the thigh which had caused extensive damage to his blood vessel, resulting in loss of blood. As soon as the youth's body reached his native Potukhah area, hundreds of residents raised slogans against the killing. However, the protestors dispersed peacefully after the deceased was laid to rest at the local graveyard. With Sheikh's death, toll in the ongoing unrest in Kashmir valley, which began with the killing of a 17-year-old boy at Rajouri Kadal on June 11, has now risen to 105. The death of the youth was tragedy for his mother, who had lost her husband to the bullets of unidentified gunmen in 1990s. Elsewhere in the Valley, life returned to normalcy as curfew was lifted from entire Valley except Kangan area in Ganderbal district. "There will be no restrictions on movement of the people today but people cannot take out processions without permission of the concerned authority," a police spokesman said here. Official sources said curfew remained in force in Kangan town and adjoining areas as a precautionary measure, as authorities were apprehending protests over the killing of three militants in an encounter yesterday. Hard line faction of Hurriyat Conference led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani, which is spearheading the ongoing agitation in the Valley, had yesterday announced exemption of the day from scheduled protests and strikes. Geelani said the decision was taken after Government imposed stringent curfew yesterday in the Valley despite his Hurriyat calling for normal activities. All shops, private offices, business establishments and petrol pumps across the Valley resumed their work. The markets, which were deserted in recent days, were bustling with shoppers. Public transport also returned to all the city and inter-district routes of the Valley while the rare day of normalcy saw massive traffic jams till late in the evening at many places in commercial hub of Lal Chowk and Residency Road. Government offices and schools, however, remained closed due to public holiday on account of Gandhi Jayanti. Police said law and order situation across the Valley remained by and large peaceful with no major untoward incident reported from anywhere today. However, restrictions had to be imposed in Palhalan area of Baramulla district in the afternoon following protests by the local residents over alleged harassment by security forces in the area. Reports from the highway town on Srinagar-Muzaffarabad road have said that many youth have migrated from the area and are putting up with their friends and relatives due to the nocturnal raids by security forces. |
Sunday, October 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment